1957    The creation of the Laboratory of Polish Flora, Sociology and Geography of Plants – a nucleus of present Department of Ecology – within the Department of Vascular Plants of the Polish Flora. The Head of the Laboratory and the whole Department is prof. Ph.D. Bogumił Pawłowski.

1958    Changes in the organizational structure of the Institute of Botany PAS: creation of Sociology, Ecology and Plant Geography Section within the Department of Polish Flora. The laboratory of Polish Flora, Sociology and Plant Geography gets a new name and is incorporated to the Sociology, Ecology and Plant Geography Section as a Laboratory of Sociology and Plant Ecology.

1961    The creation of an independent Department of Sociology, Ecology and Vascular Plant Geography in a place of the Laboratory of Sociology and Plant Ecology. Organisations found three separate laboratories: Laboratory of Sociology and Plant Ecology (head – prof. PhD B. Pwalowski), Laboratory of Plant Geography (head – doc. Ph.D. Jan Kornas) and Laboratory of Soil Science (head – M. Sc Eng. Kazimierz Zarzycki). Prof. Ph.D. B. Pawlowski is a Head of the whole Department.

1962    The change of the name and structure of the Department. The Department of Geography, Sociology and Plant Ecology with a separate Laboratory of Plant Geography. Other Laboratories (of Sociology and Soil Science) are closed down. The doc. Ph.D. J. Kornas is a Head of the Department and laboratory.

1965    After the prof. J. Kornas's leave from the Institute of Botany PAS, the Department of Geography, Sociology and Plant Economy loses its head. Prof. B. Pawlowski overtakes the supervision over the Department.

1966    Doc. Ph.D. Kazimierz Zarzycki becomes the Head of the Department of Sociology, Ecology and Plant Geography (slightly renamed).

1969    Another name change into the Department of Ecology and Plant Geography.

1972    The creation of a Field Station next to the the Department of Ecology and Plant Geography in Szarow. PhD Jan Greszta is its organizer and supervisor.

1974    Two research teams derive informally within the Department: one supervised by doc. Ph.D. K. Zarzycki, second one by Ph.D. Krystyna Grodzinska and Ph.D. Jan Greszta.

1982    Three equal research groups are formed. Higher Ph.D. J. Greszta supervises group I, group II is supervised by doc. Higher Ph.D. K. Grodzinska and group III by prof. Higher Ph.D. K. Zarzycki.

1984    Doc. Higher Ph.D. J. Gresza leaves and doc. Higher Ph.D. K. Grodzinska becomes the supervisor of the Field Station in Szarow. The name of the Department in this time is the Department of Ecology and Plant Geography with the Field Station in Szarow. 

1991    Another change of the name and structure of the Department. Two Laboratories are created within the Department of Ecology: Laboratory of Plant Ecology (head – prof. Higher Ph.D. K. Zarzycki) and Laboratory of Environmental Ecology with the Field Station in Szarow (head – prof. Higher Ph.D. K. Grodzinska).

2001    At the end of 2000 prof. Higher Ph.D. K. Zarzycki retires. Prof. Higher Ph.D. K. Grodzinska overtakes the supervision of the Department. Doc. Higher Ph.D. Jerzy Wolek becomes the head of the Laboratory of Plant Ecology, prof. Higher Ph.D. K. Grodzinska remains the head of the Laboratory of Environmental Ecology with the Field Station in Szarow. An informal supervision over the Station is carried out by doc. Higher Ph.D. Barbara Godzik.

2003    As a result of doc. Higher Ph.D. J. Wolek's leave and prof. Higher Ph.D. K. Falinska's retirement, both laboratories are closed down. From this point, in the structure of the Institute of Botany PAS, there is a Department of Ecology with the Field Station in Szarow.

2005    Former Head of Department – prof. Higher Ph.D. K. Grodzinska retires and the supervision of the Department is overtaken by doc. Higher Ph.D. B. Godzik (currently professor).

2007    The beginning of modernization and reorganization of the Ecotoxicological Laboratory in the Field Station in Szarow.

2010    The completion of the newly constructed laboratory pavilion in the Field Station in Szarow.